Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Favorites

After the thrill of christmas morning passes, the bulk of the rest of the day is spent enjoying the gifts.  As I already posted, Spenser began immediately bonding with his new laptop.  Since then, he's spent some late nights playing on-line video games with his godfather, my brother Ken, and they can even talk to each other vocally through their laptops.  Ain't technology grand? 

As for Sienna, she went right to her new Just Dance game for the Wii.  Not only is it a fun game to play, it also is quite a workout!  Here she is with Spenser dancing to Wham's big hit, "Wake Me up Before You Go Go"


Another favorite of Sienna's was the Harry Potter Legos.  She already had two sets built that we bought when they first came out,  Hagrid's Hut and Freeing Dobby.  Now thanks to Grandma and Grandpa,  she can add Hogwart's Castle, the Hogwart's Express, and the Burrow to her collection.  

She's already begun building them and I'll post pictures of the final product. 


As for Rob, he got normal type of gifts like a tie, new belts, and some cd's.  Perhaps his favorite was a bottle of Belvedere, a fine vodka that he loves to combine with Ruby Red for a drink Pat calls a 'Stoli Greyhound.'  I guess in Rob's case it's a 'Belvedere Greyhound.'  That was one of my gifts to him this year, in lieu of the Patron pack he usually gets this time of year.  Unfortunately, Costco wasn't selling them.  

As for Mony, she received cd's, dvd's, and gift cards.  Perhaps her favorite gift was one she received before christmas and according to Rob, doesn't count as a christmas gift.  But I'll just call it an early christmas gift , because that's what it was.  Rob won a Kindle in a raffle at a conference LAST JULY and it sat unopened and lonely on his desk for months.  Sure I let him know that I would gladly take it off his hands and put it to good use but Rob stuck to his guns (guns being EXTREME ethical code).  He was planning on donating it to the state charity fund as he didn't want his accepting it to be misconstrued as a 'gift.'  But hey, he won it fair and square and that's what everyone in his office told him.  So they convinced him that his wife should have the Kindle and OMG, he brought it home to me.  Here it is in all its magnificence!


  The Kindle is fantastic.  Sure I love the appeal of real books, and certainly already own my favorites (Twilight Saga, Harry Potter 1-7).  But instead of lugging a book around with you, the Kindle allows you to carry a whole library!  It's compact, light, fits in your purse, and is easy to read and use.  It also has global wireless, so you don't need internet to buy books.  You can buy them directly from the device with the push of one button, and it appears in seconds.  You can also sample books for free, and there are many free books available too.  The Kindle came with an Amazon gift card, so I was able to buy some books right away for free!  I purchased Unbroken, a WWII survival story currently on the NY Times Bestseller List.  I also purchased Russell Brand's autobiography, My Booky Wook.  (I'm a sucker for Englishmen).  Both books are great!  So yeah, I guess I like the Kindle a little bit.   

This Christmas was Kindle-tastic!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

So exciting about the Kindle. I got one too and I love it. And I just ordered Unbroken tonight. We have so much in common! Glad to see you are posting. But I would swear your Easter post has been up forever. Did you backdate your posts or was I just stuck on the Easter one? I'm thinking I bookmarked that post instead of the blog. I am such a dork! Glad to see you've been busy. Hope we see you Superbowl Sunday.