Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hoops for Haiti

Hoops for Haiti took place on Tuesday, February 23rd, and was a joint fundraising venture between my school, Greenfield Jr. High, and a competing school, Highland Jr. High. The Highland staff challenged the Greenfield staff in a game of basketball, with all proceeds going to UNICEF and the displaced and lost children of the Haiti earthquake. I, not being much of a basketball player, declined to play on the basketball team and instead volunteered to be on the 'cheer' squad. The cheer squad came up with the idea to borrow mascot costumes from the various schools in the district, and be a cheer squad of animal mascots, dancing to the catchy 'Madagascar' song, I Like to Move It. I was excited about this because I could dance around completely anonymously! Two costumes were borrowed, one owned, and I rented one from a costume shop. With only 30 minutes of practice the day before, we all showed up to the venue about 15 minutes early. When I arrived I found the team practicing in t-shirts and cheerleading skirts, and was told the 'animal' theme had gone to the wayside. Suffice it to say I was livid. There I stood with a $45 costume that I rented for nothing, and drove completely out of my way to pick up, and now I had to go completely back out of my way to return it, with no fundraiser performance to show for it. I could've/should've thrown a fit right then and there, and refused to take part, but I guess that's just not in my nature. So I sucked it up, and performed anyway, as myself instead of this awesome gecko,


Here is the performance that I begrudgingly gave,



When it was all said and done I was glad I participated. After all, it was for charity, and really - that was the point. So my bitterness must end there. But I will think twice before volunteering for another event which involves too many people. At the end of the night, this is how the gecko felt!

No comments: