Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Presidential Elevator Tale

The Oregon State Beavers were in Tucson the same weekend Sienna and I were enjoying girls' weekend. We even shared the same hotel! How cool is that? Between the Cal Poly tennis players and the Oregon basketball players, the lobby and elevator area was the place to be. The basketball players were in their orange and black warmups and several of them had to duck to clear doorways! We shared rides up and down the elevators with several groups of players. On one occasion, Sienna and I were going back to our room after some time in the hot tub, and we shared the elevator with a couple of the players, and a tall, distinguished, and well-dressed man in a suit. He seemed happy and friendly and asked one woman in a red gown if she was in the wedding party. She said yes, and that the wedding was splendid. As we neared our floor, the sharp-dressed man looks at me and Sienna and says, "You weren't at the wedding were you?" And I said "No," and then when he flashed a big grin I knew he was making fun of us for our 'lack of wedding attire.' I said "Hey.......!" and we shared a laugh as we exited the elevator. I mentioned to Sienna that I had a feeling he was the coach of Oregon State.

The next morning the headline reads, Oregon State beats Wildcats, the first time in 27 years. There is a picture of the man with whom we shared a giggle in the elevator, and he is the victorious coach. But what really catches my eye is the rest of the information about Craig Robinson. He not only is a Princeton standout but Michelle Obama's brother, hence President Obama's brother-in-law. Of course this information would have been helpful before the elevator incident, but it was still pretty cool that our paths crossed with a member of the presidential family.



Here is Craig Robinson. Didn't I say he was distinguished? Now I think I'll follow OSU basketball a little bit closer.

No comments: